Hi Ereed,

Jason (Jakewash) is correct. Be sure you get a Blu-ray player that has a full set of analog outputs for the lossless audio formats, then you can take those to the multi-channel analog inputs on the Rotel, using your DVI for the video.

There may be a slight measurable loss in audio quality if the DAC (digital-to-analog converter) chips in the Blu-ray player are really crummy, but I doubt that would be audible with music or soundtrack program material on a controlled, blind A/B comparison. Measurable, yes, but audible? Highly doubtful.

As you have stated, existing Dolby Digital 5.1 and dts "lossy" audio formats are extremely good. Putting aside the ooh-ah hype surrounding the new lossless formats, Dolby TrueHD and dts Master Audio, the actual audible differences between those and Dolby Digital 5.1 are nuances. Slightly cleaner, deeper bass and a little crisper mids and high end, with better dynamics.

I also expect the new lossy Dolby DigitalPlus, which runs at a higher data rate than existing Dolby Digital 5.1, would be extremely transparent. I've had a good demo of it, but haven't been able to compare it directly to Dolby Digital 5.1.

Regards,

Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)