Dean: Thankyou for your post and links, they are helpful and I hadn't checked all that out yet. I agree that waiting for an all-in-one card (brings me back to the ATI all in wonder days) is the right solution. I will monitor the forums. The new Nvidia 9800 platform has an HDMI out right on the card, but I haven't been able to verify through documentation or customer reviews whether that passes audio and supports TrueHD or DTS:HD. As soon as I learn I will pass along the info.

Fred: Thank you as well for your post. I saw the same literature on ATI's website and got excited because that line clearly states in text that it has HDMI out, but then all the images of the card and the I/O specs don't show it at all. If Nvidia's new boards have them I know ATI will follow soon.

I am only running a 5.1 setup, so if I can get HDMI out that supports 5.1 out of ATI or Nvidia I will be happy, but I will hold off on putting any real money into my HTPC until then. For now, I'm running optical out from the mobo to optical input on the Denon. Last night I put in my first 5.1 DD DVD into the HTPC, and even though I ran it through that optical, the Denon was still recognizing it as 2 channel...I thought optical would transmit the 5.1. Could it be that I am using VLC instead of a more formal WinDVD or PowerDVD?

In the end it's not hurting me because I have a PS3 hooked up through HDMI that handles the DVD playback fine, but my end goal is to have it all through the computer.

Thanks again!

Greg

M80s, EP150, QS8s, EP500, Denon 3808, PS3, Optoma EP1690

Patience is a virtue that can hurt you