Hi guys:

I was confused about the reference level and am still not sure I fully understand it. I believe that when you play the calibration level (pink noise) through the receiver it is adjusting the 0dB level on the receiver to 75dB sound (in your room). When I play the calibration signals on my Denon, the receiver is automatically setting the "volume control" to 0 dB during the calibration. This is actually indicated on the front display. I never noticed until it was pointed out to me and I had to look closely at the display to see the 0dB setting.
The calibration allows the receiver to detect the recording levels of a DVD, automatically adjust (offset)the receiver for different recording levels and thus correct for these differences.

The 75 dB output of the calibration signal at a volume setting of 0dB is a way of calibrating the receiver. It does not mean that when playing a DVD the speakers will output 75 dB if the volume level of the receiver is set to 0 dB. Far from this, setting the volume to 0dB will generally produce ear-splitting sound.

From what I understand, none of this is applicable to music. This because music recording is not standardized and the level at which any particular CD, SACD or DVDA is recorded is highly variable.

maphiker