Originally Posted By: JohnK
Anthony, since you refer to 12' ends, I assume that you meant that the room is 12x20.

I started writing that thinking that it was 12' wide then measured and found that it's more like 14-15' wide, just didn't correct properly.
 Quote:
It would be better to move the seating at least 3' forward. You'll not be able to have more than about 10' of separation of the mains and a good rule is to not have the seating much farther away than the separation.

I figure I won't want the mains right against the walls, but could probably swing 12' separation.
 Quote:
Mount the QS8s on the side walls about 3' above ear level, with the left QS8 at the back edge of the glass and the right one directly opposite. This should put them maybe 2' farther back than the listening position.

That's about what I've been planning. I'd really hoped to get away with using stands, but it seems to be agreed that having them higher is better.

Actual photos (well, of the mirror-image neighbor) are here: www.magnolialofts.com Look at the photo gallery, #7-12 or so.

I have license to move the couches slightly forward from the back wall, but probably can't get more than a couple of feet.

I'm also trying to figure out what to do with the center. Presuming a VP150, I could put it on a shelf on top of the 61" DLP or on the stand under it, though if I replace my 2-channel Sony with the beloved Denon 3808, room down there will be tight. The other option would be to place it on a stand in front of the TV/TV stand. I could site the electronics on the shelf stands such that the stand didn't block the remotes, and could have the center higher than the stand shelves, basically in front of the TV's built-in speakers (Samsung DLP, speakers along the bottom). That might not look great, though, given the depth of the VP150. Yes, I know, better yet would be to get *2* VP150's and have one up and one down, havin' that Denon driving 3ohms on the center channel, but that would likely fail WAF.

Last edited by anthony11; 05/19/08 06:06 AM.