Regarding the Geek Squad, as with most things, it just depends on the person. I have an acquaintance that works at the local Geek Squad. He's a pretty good guy; reasonably intelligent, knows computers, and is friendly enough. I'd trust him. But some of the others, probably not.

I have to give our local BB/GS credit though. I have a BS in Computer Science and I'm the senior Software Enginner and DBA at my company. I am a computer nerd. I have been known to set up severs for fun. The last time I had to return something where I was 'required' to talk to the GS before they'd accept the return (a laptop), the guy (not my friend) immediately realized that I knew what I was talking about and basically just signed the 'ok to return' paperwork. I was expecting a battle.

Back to your problem.....

Start with the basics. Are you sure that your optical cable is ok?

I have had several of them 'die' over the years. All it takes is one good bend and you start to break the fibers. They really are delicate. Not at all like a non-optical cable. Break enough of the fibers, and it won't transmit the optical signal well enough anymore. Can be a bear to troubleshoot because sometimes the signal will work, and sometimes it won't.

Observe the strength of the red light coming from your source output. Then plug in your optical cable to it and observe the strength of red light coming out of the other end. If it's significantly dimmer, you probably have a bad cable. Replace it.

Even if it isn't dimmer, I'd still suggest picking up a new one to try. If it doesn't fix the problem just return it. I say this out of personal experience. \:\)

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office