I am helping my dad setup a home theater in his basement and we are at the point were we are going to pick out a projector. I am leaning toward the JVC DLA-RS2 or the Planar PD8150 as possible choices. If he doesn't want to spend $8000 then he will probably go with the Epson UB. Another thing that we would like to do is have an anamorphic lens for the projector. The JVC has the ability to vertically stretch the image (I'm not sure about the Planar or Epson) so I could use an aftermarket lens, although JVC offers a motorized anamorphic lens designed for the projector for $6500.

What is the difference in an anamorphic lens?

I have not been able to find any reviews of them anywhere. I have been able to find some for $2000 and then they jump to around $5000 to $6000. I wouldn't want to put a junk lens on an $8000 projector. But spending almost as much money on the lens as the projector is a bit crazy to me. The lens that comes with the projector isn't $6000 so why is a simple anamorphic lens that expensive?

Are good ones really this costly?

Has anyone found any reviews or shootouts of different anamorphic lens' in the different price ranges?

- Nick