Somewhere on your site I read an article about how movie theaters use a horn speaker behind their screens to project the movie dialogue outward. Why do none of your center channel speakers offer a horn speaker. I am in the market for a complete set of 5.1 speakers for my home theater. I have probably spent 20 hours on your site reading just about everything that interests me. I really like your style of ceiling brackets but, could you give me the dimension of the brackets. My main speakers L/R/C will have to be mounted on the ceiling, tilting towards our seating area. If I were to buy the M3's and the VP100 and mounted them with your ceiling brackets, how low or what would the distance be to the bottom edge of the speakers be in relation to the ceiling?
Thank You,
Brian

-----

Hello Brian,

Yes, I have written about horn-loaded speakers in cinemas. Horn-loaded speakers are used for movie theaters, rock concerts and outdoor concerts because they are very efficient--they don't require thousands of amplifier watts to fill huge spaces. However, horn-loading a speaker results in quite unnatural, colored and strident sound quality to the midrange and high frequency sounds--unless elaborate electronic equalization is applied to reduce these effects. Both Dolby, Sony, and dts all use elaborate EQ for their horn speakers in movie theaters.

Since most domestic living rooms, home theaters, great rooms and the like are a tiny fraction of the size of movie theaters, Axiom chooses not to use horn loading in order to greatly increase the fidelity and natural quality of reproduced instrumental and vocal sound. (Some other manufacturers do use horn loading for home speakers, but generally those are screechy and fatiguing to listen to.)

Here are the dimensions of the brackets: From the plate bracket that attaches to the ceiling - 3.3 inches. Total distance from the ceiling to the recessed bolt on the rear baffle of the speaker, where the bracket attaches:
5.8 inches. For the M3, the distance from the bottom edge of the speaker to the ceiling would be approximately 16.8 inches. For the VP100, the distance from the bottom edge to the ceiling would be about 10.8 inches. Your room is quite large--about 4,500 cu. ft, so consider a good sized subwoofer like the EP350 or EP500 if you'd like deep bass extension for music and movie soundtracks.

Kind regards,

Alan Lofft
Alan@axiomaudio.com
http://www.axiomaudio.com
1-888-243-3236 (direct)
Read about me: http://www.axiomaudio.com/lofft.html

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)