thefwam,

Looks like you never got a response to your question, so I'll give it a shot. I recently bought the Outlaw LFM-1 EX. It is very similar to the HSU VTF-3.3, although the HSU has 2 4" ports, whereas the Outlaw has 2 3" ports. The Outlaw LFM-1 Plus is essentially very close to the now-discontinued HSU VTF-3.2.

I love the Outlaw LFM-1 EX. It performs wonderfully for music and movies. It looks very nice, although it is pretty big (but the SVS it replaced was already big, so it didn't take my wife by surprise). The Outlaws have downfiring ports and woofers, so they are very kid-friendly. When my son was younger, he routinely used my SVS port for storing his cars, etc. So I like the practical aspect of the Outlaw as well.

The LFM-1 Plus is a steal right now at $499 plus shipping. The LFM-1 EX is $100 more, and still a very good deal for what you get. They both have variable tuning, so you can set them up for maximum output (extension down to 25hz or a bit lower), or maximum extension (extension below 20hz, but losing some volume on the output). I like having the option to pick the one I prefer (currently maximum output--I'll sacrifice a bit of extension on the low end, for better output at the more common bass frequencies).

Hope that helps.