Hi Mark,

I just got done doing a test with the bottom of my DLP sitting at 4’7” with my seating at 7’10”. I would not recommend this to anyone without reclining seats. And even with reclining seats I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone who may have equilibrium problems.

With the TV mounted at 4’7” I found that when sitting reclined with the TV angled down at the seating it was more comfortable than having the center of the TV at or just above eye level when sitting either straight or reclined. Sitting up straight and looking up caused to much strain with extended viewing (an hour or more). When I angled the TV toward the seating the view was more natural but looking up at that angle was still straining when sitting upright.

Another issue that my father noticed (but didn’t bother me) was that when reclining and looking up at the TV angled down at him he felt nauseated because of the disconnect between the TV’s viewing angle compared to what “feels natural.” Might be something one would get use to.

I think your idea of putting it in the corner might be your best bet but I do have a couple of hair-brained suggestions.

First have you considered getting a projector and pull down screen. Doubt you could use the fireplace and the screen at the same time but you could still put the TV above the fireplace for casual viewing. Always something you could try later if you do put the TV above the fireplace.

Crazier idea is to build a vertical sliding carriage (like a target carriage at a rifle range) with counterweights allowing the TV to slide up and down in front of the fireplace. Ok I said it was crazy.

You could build a riser for the seating area to decrease the viewing angle if the TV is above the fireplace. You could also make it so there is a pit in front of the fire place.

Or you could just use the corner.

If you do put the TV above the fireplace I would seriously consider getting a wall mount that allows you to pull it out and tilt it down at the seating. One that also allows it to swing from side to side would let you better view the TV from other parts of the room.

Cheers,

Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1