Originally Posted By: fredk

m... Thats the effect of DPLIIX and the rear surrounds?

How well it expands the surround sound seems very dependent on the source to me. I have also noticed that I prefer the DPLIIx “music” mode more than the “cinema/movie” mode even when watching movies. It seems to expand and enhance the surround sound the most. I have yet to play around with any of the optional parameters.

So far my opinion of DPLIIx is that it does either enhance or at least not degrade the movies I’ve tried it on. However, using it on music is more of a mixed bag for me. On well made stereo recordings I think it makes them sound worse. The soundstage seems to get blended together losing the positioning of instruments and singers. There also seems to be a dynamic loss, not sure if it’s really compression or some other byproduct of the digital processing. I think it does improve the sound of poorly recorded stereo music. The expansion of the soundstage seems to outweigh whatever other processing artifacts it introduces.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1