About 1 year ago I purchased a set of Axiom speakers + EP500 subwoofer from a local individual (not direct from Axiom). He didn't have room for the setup anymore and wanted to get rid of them for cheap, so I jumped on it. I lived in an apartment at the time so I didn't set the EP500 up for fear of angry neighbors. Now that I've moved, I took the time yesterday to set up the EP500. I'm running in to a little problem though...

My EP500 volume knob does not seem to adjust anything (with one exception - see below). I set the sub to 9 PM like the manual states and went through auto calibration on my receiver (just as a guide so that I could change it later). The receiver would finish calibration and tell me that the sub was too loud. I went over to the volume knob and adjusted it to the minimum. I then repeated the calibration and the same problem occured (the sub was also noticeably too loud).

I then ran through some music and found that the subwoofer volume level was having no effect on the output of the sub... it was like the volume remains at MAX no matter where the knob is.

At some point in my attempted diagnosis I went over to the sub volume knob and touched it and shocked it (static buildup). The sub immediately jumped down in volume. I adjusted the knob and it actually had an effect on the volume now. My music actually sounded good instead of having overpowered bass.

I'm not sure how long it lasted, but I eventually turned on a movie and noticed that the volume remained loud again and I could not adjust it. I'm unsure what the problem is, but I've tried playing with the ground loop screw and this has had no effect. I've also put the sub volume to the minimum in the receiver and this has had no effect.

Is this something I can fix or is this something I need to get Axiom to fix for me?