Thanks for the feedback everyone, getting the 3900 and then adding additional amplification from there if necessary was my first thought, and it's good to hear that the available onboard power will probably be sufficient.

I must admit I'm still on the fence though, especially reading about the planned outlaw 997 processor with onboard Trinnov Optimizer, I'm still tempted to get something like the rxv663 which has the lossless audio formats and sells right now for $399 from an amazon reseller and then upgrade to something better next year, in other words go the separates route with a separate power amplifier.

Also I was thinking about starting with one ep600 and then adding another sub later, why don't you all recommend 2 ep600s, or one ep500 and one ep600? The reviews seem to suggest that the ep600 goes down farther in Hz and has more impact, which seems like fun, this setup will be mostly for movies/home theatre so that seems to fit. I am hopefully going to audition the m80/600 7.1 system this Wednesday, perhaps I should attempt to hear the ep500 too? The ep600 looks a little goofy to me and I worry that my wife may not love the look but sound rules, if you know what I mean, the whole deep reference bass thing could be sweet.

"If you try to turn toward it, you go against it."