In several posts recently, would-be Axiom buyers have asked the age-old question... "Which speakers do I need for my room size?"

Responses always correlate big rooms with the need for big tower speakers. However, less often, we ask users how far away they sit from their speakers. I can understand why room size is a driving factor for the size and number of subwoofers needed (to move all of the air in a big room), but for main speakers, isn't listening distance more important than room size?

Example: I have a 8000 cubic foot room (hypothetical) but that room is made up of a living room, dining room, kitchen, and open balcony to the second floor (i.e. really high ceilings). Despite how huge this room is, only a small portion of the room is dedicated to my listening area (one couch 6' away from a medium-sized TV). Given the room arrangement, we have only one listening position from which we listen to music or watch movies.

In this scenario, does the rule that "bigger room requires M60s or M80s" apply? (I realize if money is no object we'd all want 80s, but I'm wondering if the decision on speaker size for the mains is actually driven by room size or listening position)

Again, on the subs, clearly here you'd still benefit from more bigger subbage to pressurize the room and move air around, but does the same hold true for the mains? If so, why?

Thanks,

Jason

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry