I read I think on Professor Hsu's site that he believes ported speakers sound better for HT and have more of an exciting impact in that context whereas closed box designs are better for music and have more deep bass extension, he supposedly has somehow engineered his designs so you can change settings with the same subwoofer to best fit your particular application, hopefully I have not garbled the above info too badly.

To me that possibly begs the question, how will the closed box ep800 perform with HT material?

It seems like a silly question, I know, but I am wondering what experience people have with regard to ported versus closed box designs for HT. For example, folks are reporting great HT results with the closed HSU 15 which does not seem to fit the above theory at all, niether does the report from one long term poster (sorry can't locate) regarding the ported EP600 lacking the "thump" which he has grown to enjoy from other subs (could this be a result of smoothing due to built in DSP?).

I have wood floors and no basement so I must admit the wireless aspect of the HSU 15 is appealing with regard to placement options, on the other hand my monolithic character drives me to match the epic 80 system with one or two ep600s or ep800s.

"If you try to turn toward it, you go against it."