Originally Posted By: Warrant
Thanks for all the help so far...

It's however, time to show my ignorance. When you have a dvd recorder does it work like a vcr for time shifting? Can you archive your dvds? Does the process remain the same for BD?

Warrant, I'm not sure I'm answering your question, but will try.

If you're looking to 'time shift' network programing, I'd strongly recommend a DVR over a DVD recorder. You'll save a ton of money in blank DVDs doing it this way.

As far as archiving copyrighted DVDs, most DVD recorders have copy protection built in that will _not_ allow you to copy purchased DVDs. This can be done much more easily on a computer using programs that remove the copy protection to allow you to make a legitimate backup of DVDs you own. This might be possible with some standalone DVD recorders, but I would think it would be very few to them due to copyright restrictions.

For BD, blank Blu-rays are even more expensive and I don't think it'd be practical right now to use them for recording due to the cost of blank blu-ray disks. (my opinion).

Again, with a computer, a Blu-ray burner, and the right software, you can copy Blu-Rays, but doing so would get expensive.

Last edited by myrison; 10/02/08 11:40 AM.

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry