[/quote]
But if you are partial to a particular aesthetic you have to pay for the looks[/quote]

Thanks so much for all of the insights. I have to say that the conversation is so focused on functionality that one might think no one in this community ever paid extra for a custom speaker finish! Either of the players I mentioned in my question would provide me some enjoyment beyond the sound. I'm into the gear itself to be sure. Understand that I get enormous pleasure (keep your wisecracks in check -- I can just see a "fondling" response coming!) from using my Contax cameras and Zeiss lenses. It's a matter of a super end product and great mechanical "things." I also want to say that I don't have money to burn. Not at all. Sometimes "gear lust" can be sensible over the long term. In the case of my photography equipment, everything works like it did the day I got it. All of that being said, beating up on me may have worked to save me $650! Thanks. I'm thinking that I would be more than satisfied with the Marantz CD5003, a new Redbook player announced along with the SA8003:
CD5003 * * NEW * * Single Disc CD Player | $349.99
Want elegant proof that Marantz has never forgotten the audiophile? Just take a look at the CD5003 single disc CD player. It delivers that signature Marantz combination of superb audio performance, refined cosmetics, and surprising flexibility. With circuitry refinements and parts selection directly traceable to our Reference Series and convenience features that make it ideal for both playing and learning music, the CD5003 is all you need to fully appreciate your favorite artists.
Sophisticated new aluminum/reinforced resin front panel
Analog audio circuits featuring HDAM®-SA2
High performance Cirrus Logic stereo D/A converter
Current-buffered headphone output
Audio EX mode for super-quiet performance
MP3/WMA playback capability
Variable pitch control
Adjustable Quick Replay
CD-Text, MP3/WMA tag data display
Independent gold plated analog output jacks