I'll just put my 2 cents in here...

P=I2R.

The amp is rated for a power level at 8 ohms. If you cut the ohms in half, you must increase the current by SQR(P/R). So, if your amp is 100W rated, in normal 8 ohm operation, it would supply SQR(100/8)=3.5A. Change the load to 4 ohm, it would have to supply SQR(100/4)=5A. 43% more current.

Some amps can handle it, some can't.

I know that some of you may believe that "if the amp doesn't trip" it's okay, and I also know that most of you know that the 8/6 setting will reduce the current limit, thereby reducing your peak power. But, it's there for a reason... Distortion.

Distortion has a better chance of damaging your speakers than connecting an amp rated higher than your speakers. Notice how all torture test blow the speakers using white/pink noise?

Even if the speaker doesn't blow, it most likely will clip the higher power levels. Not a true reproduction of sound.

I would recommend (albeit in contrast to many on this board) to use the 6 ohm setting.

LFR1100 Actives,QS10HPx2,QS8x2,EP800,M3x4,M3x2 (Wood),M5HPx2 (Wood),AxiomAir,ADA1500-8,ADA1500-7