I'm still at work so I couldn't post the graphs to compare to yours so I went Googling for examples I saw on TG Daily or Maybe Engadget's sight.

I didn't find them after a quick look but I did find a bit of an interesting article about sound levels, dynamics, guitar hero and what should be the correct level of dynamics for rock music.

It caught my eye because he is trying to debunk people who say Guitar Hero versions are louder while most articles I've read argue the CDs are mixed to be interpreted as louder.

Another interesting item was this quote... Although he starts off describing how dynamics make music more "lively" and "energetic" he then contrasts his statement by saying some compression is required for the rock music genre.

"...the Guitar Hero version isn't perfect - far from it. In actual fact, it's a bit too dynamic for this style of music - rock requires a "wall of sound" effect..."

So, is this yet another sound engineer whose "wall of sound" way of thinking for rock music is killing our high fidelity buzz or is he the smart one who realizes a little bit of battery acid hot pepper sauce is good for the bigger pot?
or
do I just need to go home, have a beer and play some unquestionably well mastered Mark Knopfler.

[Edit]
After mentioning that maybe I should go home for beer, my brain shut down and I forgot the link to the article. Here it is. Not the best article I've read but I thought it might prove interesting with the above question in mind.

Rock requires a Wall of Sound

Last edited by Murph; 11/20/08 08:50 PM.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.