Hello...

I have been running a simple Yamaha Home Theater In a Box setup (YHT-755) for the past 3 years and am ready to upgrade everything.

I am running an HTPC setup via HDMI into a 60" plasma TV. My sound runs via SPDIF into my receiver (which does not support the newer sound formats).

My room (which I suspect I will be using for at least two more years) is 15' x 14' 8'(ceilings). Even if I were moving, I would expect a new A/V room to be no larger than 15 x 20 x 8.

What I want is the ability to switch audio and video via HDMI and have it processed through a receiver. The receiver must handle the new formats (TrueHD, DTS-HD) and have a good bit more power than my current receiver (100 watts x 6).

In terms of 5.1 vs. 7.1, I am undecided. I have never been able to get a straight answer on this issue. On one hand, the idea of a 7.1 system sounds awesome. On the other, if my room is not big enough, the 7 channels will all bleed together and sound like crap.

My first order of business is replacing the surround speakers. I have ordered a pair of the QS8s for my rear speakers.

The question now becomes, assuming I get the proper receiver (which I hope everyone will help with), what should I focus on next, the mains or the center channel?

It seems clear that based on my needs and room size that the M80s are way too much speaker for me. I have been looking at the M60s as a possible choice, but cannot make a decision between them and the W22s. I live in a townhouse and share a common wall so I would need to build a box to house the W22s if I decide to go with them.

Where should I begin overhauling my system? With careful planning and some attention to detail, I could potentially build a SICK system.

Thanks for your help!