I hope you're talking Canadian dollars, because I'm sure you can do much better than that for an 1804. I bought one about a month ago from 6ave.com for USD $299.06 including shipping (which was an excellent price).

Try dealtime.com and pricegrabber.com. Also check out dakmart.com for authorized Denon B-stock.

There is much to like about the current generation Denon receivers. I shopped for a LONG time in that price range. While the new Yamaha and Pioneer YPAO/MCACC circuitry is compelling, the price point is still a little higher than I wanted to go. The Pioneer (not Elite) 912 has some similar functionality, but I've not heard good things about the musicality of the non-Elite Pioneers.

The Denon gives me on-screen-display, a phono input, 7.1 channel power, Zone 2 outputs, S-Video switching, adjustable subwoofer crossover, the latest decoding and most importantly, good sound (to my ears). It is full-featured; especially with components in the lower price ranges, shopping for features is a good way to go, IMO. I don't love the remote, but it HAS allowed me to use only that controller for my older Yamaha CD player, Pioneer DVD, and Mitsubishi VCR and RP-TV.

I think Denon makes fine products, but so do many other companies. It's nice to have choices.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem