This is probably a simple question, but it’s confusing to me, so I’m hoping you guys can help me out. Anyway, I’m getting a digital/HD cable box from Comcast, and before the cable guy comes to install it, I’m wondering about how it should be hooked into my system. I have an HD TV with probably lots of different kinds of inputs, but I know it has only one HDMI port. Currently, I have no cable box, so the coax runs straight from the wall into the TV. My DVD player runs into the AV receiver (Onkyo TXSR 805) via HDMI, and from there continuing HDMI into the TV. So, when watching cable TV, the sound is handled by the TV. When watching a DVD, the sound is processed by the Onkyo with all it’s 5.1 Axiom goodness. It’s easy to switch back and forth by pressing the source button on the TV. When I get the Digital/HD cable box, I could hook it up in one of two ways:

1) Just how I have it now, straight to the TV. The problem here is that I would like to watch movies via Video on Demand/HBO HD, in surround sound.

2) Hook the cable box into the AV receiver. The problem here is that it seems like I would then need to *always* have the receiver on to watch just regular TV. Is this how most folks set things up? Seems like overkill to me.

Anyway, I’m guessing that I’m not the first person to ask this question, and it’s probably (I’m hoping) simpler that I’m making it out to be. Also, if someone can point me to a thread where this has already been discussed, I’d appreciate it. My search kung fu isn’t as strong as I’d like, I guess. Thanks much.

M60's
VP150
QS8's
HSU STF-2
Onkyo TX-SR805
Audiobytes for the PC