I know that this doesn't really apply but I have this great PA System for a band. (Did anybody check out my band?) Anyway I have fairly high end JBL speakers. The subs are 18" and get 1100 watts each at 4ohm. I crank recorded music through these at times and the bass sounds great. No sluggishness and very musical. It the PA arena there is something called a folded horn cabinet. The speaker is in the enclosure and faces a bunch of baffles before the sound comes out. You cannot actually see the speaker. This design is know for really low bottom end and goes much lower than mine in fequency. It's that chest thumping thing goin' on. Mine are front loaded where you see the speaker. These are less boomy and much more musical. Believe me with 2200 watts feeding 2 18" subs you can feel it but not like a folded horn.

I've equated a folded horn design somewhat to a down firing sub for home audio. It seems many of the smaller subs are down firing to take advantage of the floor to help with the spread of the bass and are probably less musical than a front loaded sub.

Am I all wet on this?