One of my friends is wanting to put together a sound system, and right now he's looking at receivers. He's also looking at speakers, too, and in fact asked me if Axiom Audio was anything. He couldn't remember if they were what I had or not (he lives out of town). Anyway, there's a chance he could end up an Axiom owner, but first he wanted suggestions for a receiver.

$500-$600 was what he was willing to spend. I haven't kept up on much, so what would be the best options on that price range? He has a PS3, which he uses as his Blu-ray player, and he said it's his only HDMI device right now. Number of HDMI inputs isn't critical right now, but of course he wants to have flexibility in the future. He's going for bookshelf speakers, it sounds like. He was looking at Yamaha for receivers, and he was also interested in Harman Kardon. I haven't heard anything about Harman Kardon's newer stuff. He also mentioned Denon, and I said they seemed to be rock-solid, and a popular brand on this board. Still, I didn't know about the models in his price range.

Any suggestions?

I also got another out-of-town friend to buy some M3s. He was on a stricter budget, so I didn't know if he'd ever be getting a subwoofer. I didn't hear from him for a while. Apparently, his computer died, but he finally contacted me again and said the speakers were pretty darn awesome, and he couldn't imagine wanting a subwoofer. That made me feel better.

Here's hoping I can bring another person over to Axiom. I'll let you all know what his speaker budget turns out to be.