update on the update on the update....

I can't leave my 3808 plugged into the router unless I want to keep tripping over the 50' cable connecting the two. Today, I had to re-hook up the receiver to get the 'Upgrade Code" to supply to Denon for the free upgrade.

After connecting, I spent 45 mins getting very frustrated that the denon was unable to connect to the network. I played with settings, not really knowing what I was doing, I swore to myself (and to the empty room) that I was going to prioritize learning about networking. I double checked the router connection and cycled it. I couldn't figure out why the other day it worked instantly and today something was different.

Finally I decided to confirm a solid connection at the receiver end. It wasn't until then, holding a mirror on a different angle than I did previously, that I realized the Denon Link connector was ALSO an RJ45.... and four inches from the Ethernet connection. I never claimed to be bright.

Well, once the cable was actually plugged into the correct jack, I got my code and decided to check out internet radio stations...which I never did the other day.

THIS is a bigger feature than I thought it would be. Yes, the sound varies from Mediocre MP3 to good quality FM... but how cool is it to listen to a classic rock station from Goteborg or a blues station from Germany? Or, even to get my local stations much clearer than I otherwise could without hooking up a big FM antenna in the attic?

I hadn't given too much emphasis to an internet-ready receiver before the other day, but I gotta tell you... the firmware updates, internet stations, and MP3 playback are really pretty big features in my book now!

FWIW, I've only used MP3s on a 16 gig thumb drive, I haven't yet hooked up a hard disc....

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::