Originally Posted By: Zimm
For what it is worth, I had Klipsh 8" with swiveling 1" tweeter and a mid and high boost/cut and driver and tweeter indp swivel. I highly recommend the angle tweeter on whatever you go with as it lets you bounce the highs as you want to get the right reflection/direct sound. Without a cabinet, bass is a problem, so go for bigger woofers. I almost got the B&Ws. I found the Klipsch on sale and pulled the trigger and was generally happy with them - actually surprised how well composed they were even on 5 ch music. PSB also makes some in ceilings, but i think they are expensive. Speakercraft Aim 8 is also a finalist for me.

Zimm, a couple of thoughts stirred up here.
"Ceiling (no cabinet) spkrs have more trouble with bass."
I was concerned that my current in-wall side surr's w/8"woofer were too big, seeing most recommending smaller for better mids in surr's. Though my in-wall WG-150 (WaveGuide) are in the 3 1/2" deep wall (sound absorbant mat behind), I wonder if the play out as a smaller driver? The 1" alum dome twtr is moveable. Maybe I would be (almost?) as well served by not replacing these with QS8's??
http://www.ciao.com/M_S_WaveGuide_WG150W_Speaker__10043963#productdetail

I wonder how a Waveguide or similar 8" woofer, 1" tweeter as ceiling mounted backs might sound match with the existing direct firing side. Then how would those 8" woofer in-wall/ceiling surrounds would match up with the M60, VP150 fronts. Given this info, would I still get better side surr sound from QS8's and add 8" in-ceilings for 7.1 backs? So better timber match with sides and backs at 8" vs. QS8 sides w/ 8" (or other) ceiling backs?
I do have ceiling access, albeit tight, but I have been up there before. Wire routing would be pretty simple, just a dusty belly crawlin' job. Maybe I can get my wife to crawl in their to pass the wires thru...
It seems Axiom does not make an in-ceiling speaker.

This is an exciting new development, yet again! ;o)

Last edited by davekro; 02/17/09 11:57 PM. Reason: wire note

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."