Rick:

As Alan said, generally cable companies are ramming everything they can down the line so when you look at the considerably wider bandwidth HD needs, I am surprised it doesn't happen more. The cable on our street is all underground with junction boxes at various points along the way connected to the various homes. Back several months ago we had a REALLY serious problem with break-ups, not only on the HD channels but ALL the channels. As it turned out many of these boxes had to be re-wired and new booster amplifiers installed along the way. When I phoned the company, they said they got a number of complaints on the street so I knew it had nothing to do with anything internal so that , inevitably, will be your determining factor if it is coming from the cable company. If you are the only one that has reported the problem then that is another matter. There is also the practical issue that most people, unlike many of us on this forum, are not tuned in to the nuances and small problems that may be occurring on their television screen. For them, it is either working or not. If nobody else complains then the cable company thinks the problem is with you.

Even today after all the repair work was done, there are STILL periodic breakups. I guess this is something we will have to live with in this multi-hundred channel, multi-communication network.