Interesting stuff! I hope you two don't duke it out like this too often (JOKE!)

I believe BBIBH makes many valid points concerning the need for quality sources - and I couldn't agree more that NO speaker can correct faults from the source. However poor speakers sure can mask them! And I think that is what Ian was getting at (at least that's MY interpretation - After all he IS a speaker designer - otherwise he would be building CD players and amps!)

No matter what the quality of the source, you can't hope to have good sound w/o good speakers. (and that is why I just bought some M60s)

As for the pursuit of sound perfection and designer's price targets - every engineer knows the concept of diminishing returns (I think they developed and then perfected the theories) After a certain point (and who knows where that is?), very small increases in quality come at large increases of $$$! This is always the consumer (and audophile's) delimma - How much (or little) must I spend to get a sound that I am happy with?

I think we are all still struggling with that one! At least I am. But the upgrade path is always there - daring us to take it.

Thanks BBIBH - for you insights, historical perspectives, technical competitance and willingness to share them.
And thanks Ian - for weighing in with your experience and willingness to tackle almost any issue.

I enjoy reading all your stuff!

Randyman