One more thought for room dimensions; for music listening I prefer higher ceilings, but for movies I find that making the room wider seems to be a big help. Bipolar or quadpolar surround speakers help to make the room seem wider, but pushing the walls a bit further apart definitely helps too.

Also, having something other than a concrete slab for your floor makes it easier for the subwoofer to shake it. As a corollary, people who enjoy peace and quiet should not be encouraged to live above or below your HT room ;\)

Finally, at some point I'm hoping to move my HT out of the loft into a purpose-built room in the (currently unfinished) basement. When I do, I will be angling the wall where the screen is located in order to get away from parallel side walls. That is definitely not essential but if you're thinking about a purpose-built room it's something to consider.

Finally, take a look at some of the sample rooms in the Rives Audio site to get an idea of what is possible - some of those rooms are spectacular and I don't think the changes really added that much to the cost. Depending on budget, you might want to consider getting Rives involved.

Last edited by bridgman; 03/23/09 09:05 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8