Originally Posted By: Murph
Hey, if the Yammy is doing what you need, don't look back. "What if" syndrome is a constant no matter what you buy. Even if you have the money to buy the perfect box every time, a new model will be out in a month. Why fret?

OK, brain, you hear what i just told Argon?
Must....believe.....own.....words...........

I'm going to say something really mean right now. I am a tech toy geek. I want every new feature and I am always trying to squeeze performance out of my stuff. But, I'm also pretty frugal, so I tend to exhaust all value from an investment before moving on. (Yes, I know those are conflicting traits. Thankfully I have multiple personalities. )

I bought my Denon AVR 3300 in 2000. At that time, it was very well received by the "bought-and-paid-for" critics. I have wanted a new receiver since the words HDMI and Dolby HD entered the lexicon. But I am so happy with the $1,200 I spent on the 3300, almost 9 years ago, that I just can't find an excuse to let it go yet. Other amps may sound better, but this thing has been a tank, and is used constantly in my primary and second zones. Not so many frills, but it runs my 4-6 ohm speakers, with heat, but otherwise without so much as a sweat.

I really hate to hear all the problems with Onkyos, and others, as I would love to branch out. (Always wanted a B&K!) But in a market filled with hype and passing fads, unless Denon has lowered its standards since 2000, their AVRs are truly a worthwhile investment. At this point, I'm simply figuring out if I want the 3000, 4000 or 5000 series, and when to pull the trigger.

Sorry Murph, I have to agree with your brain - it makes a compelling argument. ;\)

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire