You guys are driving me crazy

American English is a hopelessly convoluted and deficient language. Most other civilized countries have different words for the second-person singular and the second-person plural, but not us. No no no. That's why I had been CRUSADING for formal adoption of "y'all" as the plural of "you".

Until, that is, it was pointed out to me by an esteemed colleague from the South that "y'all" IS singular and the appropriate version of the second-person plural is really "all y'all".

While I'd have to agree with Peter that, especially in the context of an internet forum, language is just a means for us to communicate with one another, I would also like to submit that there is elegance in precision and great writing is of lasting value. Repetition of poor or imprecise writing degrades our culture incrementally.

I am reminded of a couple of things - first, in an earlier life, I was a Historian. The grace, truth and deliberation with which even common people used to write letters remains an elegant testament to their life experiences. Particularly compelling examples come from soldier letters during the War between the States.

Likewise, the phrase "man of letters" has long been used to convey a sense of scholarly proficiency.

No, we're not writing for books or academia here. And I am tremendously grateful for the kindness, thoughtfulness and civility under which this forum operates; it is why I continue to reside here. AND, to others, how we express ourselves is often "who" we are.

Man, those books on tape sound great on my Axioms.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem