Originally Posted By: doormat
The big difference between the 3808 and 2809 is upgradability. ...If you figure there is more physical innovation coming down the pipe in the next couple of years, you'd be better off buying a lower cost Rx now (ie your 1909) and getting all the new stuff in a few years. The beauty of this is the "old" Rx gets demoted to another room and you have an excuse to buy more Axioms.

After all that said, however, I still don't regret buying the 3808.

Doormat,
It is really helpful to get sincere feedback from 3808 (and 2809) owners. I had never really known if GUI was a true advantage or just a prettier OSD, so good to know it is not really a value add. I do like the idea of upgradability, but given I have to 'upgrade' to get that ability, that is moot at this point in time. Since three new Denon models will be announced in a little over a week at and below the retiring 3808's level, not a bad time to 'love the one your with' for a a little time longer. ;\)

Well, I already have the Sony STR-V333ES 5.1 I just upgraded from. I thought I'd set up 5.1 in the bedroom, but my wife prefers to keep it simple on that TV. :o( Well, maybe when she really becomes familiar with the Harmony 670 I got for that TV a month ago, she'll feel better about 5.1 in that room. :o) She actually would let me do it, but since I am spending a bundle in the living room, I'll wait a while. Having all the speakers and the AVR, I was ready to go, just because I could. She does not quite get that. ;o)

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."