Dunno about Satellite HD service. I just got Adelphia's HD service here in SoCal.

I'm very disappointed. Adelphia uses a Motorola set-top box. I get 5 HD stations, to broadcast channels (NBC, ABC), a PBS station, one Showtime and one HBO station. The picture format for HD is widescreen, but except for the PBS station, the others do not broadcast in 1070 format, so I get bars not only on top and bottom, but on the sides as well. Picture quality is a bit better than the digital picture quality I previously enjoyed. However, the picture quality on the 70 something analog stations is much worse than it was before. Picture quality from the digital stations is about the same as it was before. Sound quality is improved thanks to the Toslink connection. I get some stations in dolby digital, and in general it sounds better, although I have noticed some unpleasant audio artifacts with the new box/HD set up, i.e., popping, clicking, etc.

Conclusion? At this point, Adelphia SoCal's HD service is not worth the trouble or expense.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.