Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
Thanks for the feedback! BTW, the computer is not as much for the GUI as for the calculations themselves. The main problem of receiver-mutli-EQ is the challenge to get them to some very ccomplex calculations (especially time-related) with very small CPUs and limited resources.

If the computer is required for the calculations, then the price of the unit is even less reasonable. The CPUs in most of the computers that will be used with the AS-EQ1 are a fraction of the cost of the unit. And even if it takes a few minutes for the AS-EQ1 to perform the calculations, who cares? It's not like it has to do it on the fly during normal operation. It just has to do it during the setup. To me, if they can't arrive at the appropriate level of processing power when the unit is in the $700-$800 price range, there's something wrong. Of course, there's very little competition in this space. We'll have to wait for other better implementations to come around before prices start dropping to more mainstream levels. Many receivers and pre/pros, on the other hand, have even more inflated prices, so it's inexcusable if they can't build the processing power into them. Pre/pros, especially, which don't have an amplifier section yet seem to cost more, should be able to meet the challenge. Here's hoping a company out there can polish this tech and integrate it into a pre/pro sooner rather than later.

I'm sure I sound bitter, but I'm really not. This is just the reality of the business at this point, but I do want the technology to improve at a faster rate simply because I like having more options. This product is still an improvement in usability over what's been out before it (apparently, as I haven't use the other options), but there's even more convenience to be achieved. I'll enjoy the benefits of this implementation, but I look forward to the next iterations.