Update:
Still was in work clothes so no driving but stopped in to a few places on the way home.

Revisited the mall sports store just to see if I missed any options that might make me consider enduring the young idiot whose total bike knowledge gets summed up in "But this one here is a real sweet ride..." Couldn't hack it. Service is and would continue to be crappy. Thankfully, no models caught my eye anyways.

Revisited the only two reputable bike shops on the island. Honestly, it comes down to these options and only these unless I want to spend another $140 dollars to drive to Halifax for a day.

Shop #1
--------------
- Various new "Rocky Mountains" that don't fit my desired price range as a casual biker. They do "call" to me though, admittedly mostly for aesthetic reasons. The used RM's are plentiful but they are all models too far on the MTB side of the fence. Defeats my purpose in changing styles.

- Various new "Specialized" that also don't fit my budget. There is one heavily used one that fits the bill nicely but at $600 for a $700 dollar when new unit that shows signs of a pretty hard rental life, I'm just not sure. The shop does include a limited "new bike" warranty that is basically 1 year on components and five on the frame. I forget the exact model but it is one I test rode previously and it suited me nicely. Fast, felt good, no suspension but rode nicely. It didn't shift as smooth as the Rocky Mountain I drove that day but I think it just needed a tuning. Prolly should have checked the cogs for ware.

Other brands but not in in a sports style hybrid.

Shop #2
-------------
- Various new "Giant" bikes of which the "Cypress" is the most suitably featured in my price range. Can't say more than I did in previous posts as I have yet to ride it. The seat would definitely have to go though unless they make a helmet in the shape of a 'cranky old man hat.'

- Various new "Opus" bikes of which the "Mondano" is the most suitably featured in my price range. Again, I can't say more than I did in previous posts as I have yet to ride it. They have a "Adagio" coming back on a return that will warrant a look Saturday.

Other brands as well, but not in in a sports style hybrid. They also sell off their rental stocks. $200 off but they never offer them until the end of the season and they admit they are used pretty hard.

So, you see, these really are my only choices. I live in a beautiful but very tiny province surrounded by water. Many 'less typical' purchases involve limited choices or travel as a fact of life here. Anything else requires 6-8 hours of windshield time and a loss from my budget big enough to destroy all hope for a decent bike.

So, Saturday, if I'm not too busy, as I am 'on call' for my work, I will spend some time test driving them all to see what fits me best and asking some much better questions now that you have all helped educate me. I'm positive but if I'm still not convinced, I'll wait.

Worst case scenario, staying put and peddling my MTB like mad to keep up with my wife is going to accelerate any fitness gains.

Thanks all!!

Last edited by Murph; 07/18/09 12:49 AM. Reason: clarity

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.