I bought a Sonos for my father-in-law, including the original fancy remote. Suffice to say he hasn't really even used it...

I'm w/ Efalardeau...iphones/touches and Airport Express. As long as you are willing to commit to Apple stuff (love 'em or hate 'em), then you have a VERY viable and relatively 'cheap' solution.

W/ the iTunes running on a PC/Mac, every Airport express can access your itunes library and you can control it from your iphone/Touch. You can use iTunes to direct the music to the appropriate Airport Express, including AppleTV. I use both configs in my house. It's all wireless and range is VERY good. If you are worried about 2.4GHz interference (which you have w/ Sonos) you can have your Airports run at 5GHz, though range will decrease. The Expresses output optical so you can run digital to any amp in another room.

ALSO, you can stream Pandora or other streams on top of it.

http://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/

I can guarantee that this is cheaper than Sonos or Leviton or any of the other fancy distributed audio systems. If you are wiring your house, my suggestion would be to wire extra Cat 5E and you could use wired w/ the Airport express and not worry about Wifi range.