Regarding y'all's discussion of the relative tax burdens we all face: yes we pay too much federal income tax, but that's not the half of it. Add to that: state income tax; property taxes; unsecured property taxes; sales tax; taxes on gasoline, liquor and smokes; estate taxes; windfall taxes; user fees, registration fees, fees for this, fees for that; medi-care; medi-cal; social security; and on and on and on...
What does the worker get in return?
The largest expenditure at every level of our gov't is "entitlement" programs - not military, fire, police, or anything else useful. Free money to people who are not contributing. If you pay money to people for NOT working, why would they ever get up and go to work?
I wouldn't mind paying the taxes I currently do if they were used in ways to benefit all of us who contribute.
I feel like I'm going in on a pizza with all my friends, but the box is empty when it gets to my door. It's empty because the pizzaman handed out slices to every bum on the way - like he's freakin' Santa Claus or something. I guess that's how you get re-elected.