My guesse at their strategy is this. After seeing the "Supertip" ear tips (marketing drippage), which look identical to the style om my Zune's premium ear pieces and also the Klipsh models show in the pictures below, I had the thought that many of the people 'uneducated in audio' enough to buy any monster product have probably never tried inner-ear earphones.

If their design is reasonably good, and I'm sure they made them good enough to not fall prey to general scrutiny by reviewers, then those used to ear buds and such will certainly experience better sound isolation and probably better audio quality than the Apple (or most Apple style) buds they were using previously and also probably much better than many 'open' (Walkman style) earphones they were using previously. They will then spout on about how much better it sounds and justify to all their friends why they are worth so much money. Monster may not be very ethical but they are brilliant marketers.

In reality, I'm doubtful they sound much better than my Zune phones but normally that would be unfair to say without hearing them myself or a after few authoritative reviews are published. However, given Monster's proven track record of ripping of the consumer, I'm leaning on guilty until proven innocent on this one.

Edit: Before I'm corrected: Re. my describing them as "inner ear" I realize they are not true inner ear phones, such as are my Shure's that litterally get stuffed right into the canal, but this style are often described as such as they do tend to engulf further into the ear and create a seal to give you the extra isolation.

Last edited by Murph; 09/29/09 06:18 PM.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.