Wow, that sounds pretty wild alright. Also a bit psychedelic I must say! Lol, but an interesting find. I suppose movie theaters are dark with sound treatments for precisely the same reason. Here in our town we had a Kerasotes 'Cinema 6' for years and years. Then a competitor built a Danbury 'Cinema 10' right down the street from it. Soon after Kerasotes expanded and added 5 additional theaters to round up to a 'Cinema 11'. Three of the 5 new cinema's were your average theaters. But they built 2 supreme theaters that they open the big movies in every week. Then the next week comes along and those movies get shuffled to the ordinary screens and the biggest two new movies get put on their main two screens. They really did a bang up job on the two main screens. They are a bit bigger, but besides that they have a top of the line surround system in there, the sound proofing is top notch, and the sound treatments are of the highest calliber. Watching a movie in one of those two theaters is enough to make you want to go see a movie on opening weekend so that you don't get shuffled back to one of the regular screens.

And yes it's like you discribed, as soon as the movie starts in one of their main rooms it's a completely different feeling from the rest. The sound field is infinitely deeper than the room itself. In other words it doesn't seem to have walls, or a ceiling or anything of that nature. You don't feel confined in a cement bunker, you feel as if you're right in the middle of the action. If it's the desert scene from 'The English Patient', you feel like you're right there in the airplane flying over the desert with Ralph Fines. If it's 'Titanic', you feel like you're in the middle of the ocean with Leanardo DiCaprio. Sure I know a theater has 20 times as much space as my HT, and probably close to that many speakers as well. But these two theaters are still a different breed from regular theaters. Not quite on par with say an IMAX theater, but still leaps and bounds better than your average cinema.

We have blinds over our windows now, and curtains covering our french doors. But the curtains are not heavy, they are transparent. Perhaps some heavy draperies are in order. I can't get too crazy unfortunately, as this room doubles as our sales room, so it has to be a bit more on the 'inviting' side and not give the feeling we're vampires! Lol, but I do love my sound effects, so perhaps some experimentation is in order eh?

Last edited by Micah; 10/09/09 06:54 AM.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD