Some camps will also argue that 'modern' digital source components, all sound the same as long as you are not fiddling with any sound altering settings which is normally done at the receiver anyways. In a digital setup, all the player is doing is reading digital ones and zeros and transmitting those ones and zeros to the next device, the receiver which then then does the actual decoding. If it's sending the wrong binary data, it's broken, not better or worse.

The sometimes argued certainty of that statement aside, I think you should consider trying an upgraded CD player just so that you can ditch the analogue cables and modernize to a digital signal all the way to the receiver. However, you say you like the current sound so, your call.

The best bang for your buck is in speakers but you already have outstanding speakers with the M60s. The previous advice to add a good subwoofer is indeed going to make a big difference for you. It would be a great place to invest any extra cash.

However, if you really have the electronics bug (as we all often do,) I'd definitely consider upgrading the CD player to a DVD or even a Bluray player. They can finally be bought for almost as little as a midrange priced DVD player now.

If you go BluRay, you will might also consider an upgraded receiver, simply for HDMI inputs to get the benefit of the new HD Audio formats.

If you need to buy in stages, I'd go Subwoofer, then buy a BluRay player and you can still do Dolby 5.1 and DTS etc with your current receivers optical inputs. Then add surrounds to fill the room then finally a HDMI receiver for eventually playing with the new HD formats.

For the ULTIMATE audio experience, you owe it to yourself to buy the "Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds - Live at Radio City Hall" Bluray (or DVD minimum) and play it through your new player via to the M60s. It will be a religious experience in audio unlike anything you could imagine via your current CDs and setup.

Last edited by Murph; 10/20/09 12:56 PM.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.