Originally Posted By: Crimsonwrath
Anybody have any experience applying their own extra coats of gloss on their speakers? I have some VaSSallos in Cherry Chestnut Semi gloss, and am now regretting not getting them in the High gloss. I would probably just end up making a mess if I attempted doing them myself though.

Don't. Unless you really don't like the finish now, don't attack a good finish. I attacked my 10 year old black ash PSBs because I was willing to redo the whole thing if it went wrong.

I had decent success with a piano-ish-kinda finish on the black, but I decided to leave the striped mahogany exterior in flat stain, without lacquer. This was in part due to the appealing contrast of gloss to flat, but also because the piano finish process is very tedious.

You must sand down the current finish to dead flat, then spray-gun lacquer, sand, repeat about 3 - 5 times. If you are going to try it, I'll send you the sites I found with the how-to process and we can open a new thread as other might find it fun to watch.

Don't get me wrong, a great project that I really enjoyed, and like the results. But not a weekend project, and could really trash the finish on your Axioms if it goes wrong.

Consider this; keep the finish you have and build a shell like I did. You can line the inside with felt and not damage the Axiom finish, but you can pick any of a 100 custom real-wood veneers and cover as much of the old finish as you like. Here is a few quick pics, but the how-to are laid out on my Photobucket page, and the sub pic shows what a simple "veneer on top" application would look like:

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire