Chesseroo: the new Core i7 and Core i5 are NOT the next generation...they are the mainstream versions of the more high-end (read:older) Core i7 LGA1366. Intel has not changed socket types at all, they have simply introduced a new socket for more of the average Joe. They have every intention of supporting the LGA1366 for many more chips to come.

Why they have designated some LGA1156 as Core i7's and some as Core i5's, I don't know. They decided to drop back down to dual-channel memory because the performance benefits of triple-channel vs dual-channel are negligable.

From what I understand, the LGA1366 Core i7's will continue to be on the bleeding-edge of technology (future 8-core chips, etc) while the LGA1156 will always be marketed more mainstream. With future upgrades, we may see the triple-channel memory controller become more useful.

Zarak: One good thing about the LGA1156 is that it will run cooler than the 130W Core i7's. Let me tell you, the older i7's can really heat up a room!

As far as your lack of desire to overclock, I have to ask :)...why the heck not?!?! That is what these processor are made for! If you were to purchase the i7 920, you would be able to surpass 3.0GHz with no effort whatsoever...the i7 860, I'm sure, would also be able to achieve much higher clock speeds with ease.

Of course, if you are not comfortable with overclocking that is perfectly fine...I just hate to see you spend so much money on a processor and not even begin to tap its full potential, especially when it is so easy to do.