You could probably Dynomat the whole room for under $10,000! ;\)

J/K of course. Although Dynomat is extremely useful in car applications, it's just way too darn expensive for doing large area's. Too bad they don't have a similar product out for home applications. I honestly haven't heard of 'green glue' or its superpowers. I do know they make special insulation for sound proofing rooms. However I think they fall quite short of actually keeping sounds from escaping a room. Foam panels on the walls, and ceiling would go a long way, but if looks were important, then they probably won't get the nod.

Way back in high school I remember a buddy of mine who was the drummer for his rock band. They had set up shop in his parents basement, and actually looking back on it I suddenly realize that his parents were VERY liberal in letting their son do whatever he wanted in that basement. Obviously they told him so long as they couldn't hear them downstairs they could play whenever they wanted to. So the entire basement was covered in this 'egg crate' looking black foam that he said he got down at the music store (this was way before the internet was alive) for sound proofing rooms. I don't know what it was called, made out of, or what they might have had behind it (perhaps layers of different materials), but it was quite amazing the level of sound proofing they were able to achieve. When you walked into the house upstairs you couldn't hear anything except a very faint bass drum kick. No high pitched, shreiking guitars, cymbal crashing, or anything else that would ever keep someone awake at all, it was damn near undetectable. When you opened the first basement door (they had doubled the doorways up... at the top of the stairs was the original door, walk down the stairs and then you opened the second door which they had put in when they sealed up the basement) the music became a bit more noticable, but still sounded like maybe a clock radio was playing downstairs or something. Then once you walked down the stairs and opened the second door an insane blast of drums, bass, keyboards and two screaming guitars hit you like a bullet train straight to the chest. You guys think I listen to my music loud? I have no doubt in my mind at all that the 6 guys in that band all have hearing problems today.

Now certainly I remember Rob explaining what all they'd done to sound proof the basement, it was way too impressive to miss the explanation of how they did it. However that was 20 years ago, so I can't rightly recommend any of what they did, because I don't recall any of it. All I know is that if looks aren't important and the powers that be in your house care less about what the room looks like and more about not being able to hear what's going on in that room... well then I can definately say there is a way. I may not know how they did it, but they certainly achieved a level of sound proofing that most of us can only dream of late at night when we're watching one of our favorite movies and the kids are upstairs sleeping, or your apartment neighbors are right under your feet or over your head. I for one have dreampt of it on many a night.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD