Originally Posted By: Potatohead
Is the point of a bass trap to mimize reflections back into the room and the cancellation of sound waves? I always figured they were just to reduce boominess...

The boomieness is caused by the reflection of lf waves inside the room so they are the same thing.

Bass trapping is most effective above 100Hz, so depending on where your issue is, bass trapping can be effective. The higher the frequency, the more effective traps become.

From all the reading I have done and from some experiments I have done in my room, to be effective, you need a fair amount of trapping. All 4 corners of the room is a minimum.

First reflection points, though equally important, are a whole other beast involving higher frequencies. There is disagreement over whether or not you should use absorption or diffusion at first reflection points on your walls. Absorption on the floor and ceiling first reflection points is desired, but again, this is for higher frequencies. A carpet would probably start being effective at something north of 1,000Hz. I'm not saying its not important, its just not bass trapping.

If you live in a [mostly] square concrete box like me, all hope is lost. \:\(

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!