I've been looking for a personal notebook to replace the heavy, corporate security laden, Compaq nc6400 I normally drag around so I've been doing a lot of research and doing 'hands on' with everyone I see who has a newer model. I'm pretty convinced that you can't go wrong with an Asus if you take the time to get the model that suits you. in fact, that might be their only problem, they have sooo many models it gets very confusing. Luckily or unluckily, I'm limited in my choices in Canada. As pointed out by the reliability matrix, they have an excellent maintenance record but one should still note that just like every other company, the return rate increases as you drop down into the cheaper models like netbooks. In short, they are tops in their respective classes but you still get what you pay for.

Right now, I need a little more power than a cheap Atom powered netbook but I desire the portability. For just a bit more, you can get one with a much more robust chipset. Since I'm not in a hurry, I'm holding off until the first of next year to see see if the new Atom processors are truly more powerful or just more power efficient.

In another plug for Asus, the new "seashell" designed models are truly thin and the most elegant looking I have seen up close so far, if that is a factor for you.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.