Wow, I just had a very eye opening event happen to me. As anyone who's ever read a thread of mine knows, I couldn't be any happier with my M80's.... UNTIL NOW!!! I've written about my own experiments with speaker placement before, and how I've very carefully positioned them to deliver the best sound at my seating location. I've been satisfied beyond my wildest expectations with the amount of bass that these babies produce, however just this morning I was reading some very small print on the screen of my tv, so I got up and sat on the edge of my coffee table which is only about 4 feet from the tv, where as my usual seating position is 17 feet from the tv. I was of course listening to music as always, but what I wasn't expecting was how hard the bass was hitting my chest from that distance! It was crazy, it was as if I'd cranked the bass levels up ten notches... ON THE EP800!!! And seeing as there isn't an EP800 in my living room to crank, I was completely shocked!

So I started doing some experiements, moving from spot to spot and discovered that my captians chair sits in a bass lull (or whatever that word is used to describe an area where bass cancels itself out). I do hear and feel the bass, but not as strong as in other area's. So I'm wondering how to get my seat out of this bass lull without having to move my speakers, as I feel they are in their prime location otherwise. Is this where bass traps and all that come into play?

It's not an urgent matter, I've been perfectly happy with their performance to date. In effect this would just be a bonus on top of an already outstanding set-up. So I can take my time and build these things myself and experiment with them to see if I can redirect the bass into this area. It would also be of great benefit once I get a subwoofer system in place. If I was missing this much bass from the EP800, I can only imagine what it would have sounded/felt like with proper room treatments to maximize my listening experience!

I think one of these companies should come out with a program that takes a complete picture of your room, and shows you visually what's going on inside of it. So that I could see first hand where the bass is strong, and where it's weak. That way when I put up bass traps and other room treatments I could see what makes the biggest impact as far as improving the bass response in my seat. Because that's the most important area anyway. The other seats are only filled with customers from time to time, and the music isn't played at a level where you feel the bass all that much, so leaving those seats in a lull wouldn't be an issue at all. All I'm concerned with is directing as much of the bass as I possible can towards the captians chair.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD