I think your design makes the best use of the space and shapes available. The only possible variation on your theme that I could envision was moving everything over to the right towards the furnace room and flipping the orientation 90 degrees so that the low hanging ceiling space (and the new wall) creates a cozy feeling for the back row of seats instead a detriment to a possible projection screen choice for now or the future. To remove the "why is everything off center look", you could offset the empty space freed up on the left with a foosball table, standing bar or maybe both.

I like the idea of a solid wall verses a curtain but that part is just personal preference. While a curtain is certainly practical and can be made to look professional, it always makes me thing of back in my teen years when a few of my friends did the "I'm taking over the basement" thing and divided off areas with curtains, sheets or whatever they could find. So mostly a subconscious thing really but I would personally go with a wall.

If money was no object, you could consider soundproofing the laundry room and maybe even the furnace room, depending on habits and their noise levels.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.