I think it’s worth a try but you might find using two will work better especially considering how close they will be to the listeners. Presently I’m using a single VP150 about 5 feet back but because it’s both directly back and a direct radiator it’s hard to tell if the sound from its is coming from behind in in front when sitting in the sweat spot. Previously I tried a QS8 in the same position and it worked a little better. However, the best configuration was 2 QS8s placed so they were spaced out so that they were between the middle and each side listener. I think this both diffused out the sound better and also gave better directional queues because the speakers weren’t directly behind a listen which makes it difficult to tell if the sound is coming from directly behind or directly in front.

Another thing to try if you have the room is to put your seating on carpet sliders and pull the seating out a little for critical movie watching. In my apartment I had my futon on sliders so I could pull it forward to get optimal angles for 2 channel music and push it back for optimal angles for 5.1/7.1 movies and music. It worked great. Even getting your seating off the wall a little bit more could make a big difference when you really want to hear the benefit of surround sound.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1