you can get Nad refurbished from http://www.spearitsound.com/nad/nadspec.htm

they are great guys, when i lived in new england i bought from their boston store. You will need to call the Northampton store for refurbished inventory.. i would at least call and see what they have or what they can get for you, i think they are the only NAD certified company to sell refurbished items for NAD.. btw, i got my Krell from them for 1500, so you could see what else they have..

i would tell you to go with Nad, i have a Nad processor, and a Krell processor, and to be completely honest, i can only tell a slight difference in the Krell unit over the nad, with the same amps. Considering the Krell cost almost 4 times what the Nad did new...

i have a buddy who has a Nad receiver, and that sounds wonderful as well. i have owned onkyo as well, and the quality between Nad and Onkyo is uncomparable, in my opinion..

One question, why do you need the HDMI ports? my system is completely analog..
if you are ok with staying with analog, you can get much more power/performance for your money. this is a current listing off of spiritsounds used section.

NAD T175/T975 Package, AV Tuner Preamplifier with 7-Channel Power Amplifier (List $4,498) $2,948 Refurbished

i realize this is 450$ over what you want to spend, but i would say that this would be worth waiting another month for, due to the fact that this is a separates pre/pro. i don't know if you have ever herd a pre/pro set up next to a receiver. but that is also an uncomparable match as well in my opinion. I would rather go with less new technology (HDMI) but better DAC's and an amp you will never have to replace, just buy another processor when technology changes enough to matter to you.

anyhow you know where i stand... good luck with your choice. \:D