Originally Posted By: kcarlile
If you're looking at a 975, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be looking at a 980x instead. That's a 6 core processor for $999.

Will all software automatically make use of six cores?

Yeah, I figured the power supply upgrade would be a no-brainer.

Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
When picking out a CPU, there's usually a point where the price jumps up considerably from the previous increases from model to model. I buy the one just below that large jump.

In closing, don't worry too much about the CPU. Put the extra money into some General Purpose Computing accelerator card (or two). I wouldn't bother with the Quadro card either. It's not any faster than the 285, just cost $600 more. If your software says it only works with the Quadro, find other software, because they're charging you too much too.

That was my concern with the CPU. I know that bleeding-edge usually costs $$ and getting something a bit under that is usually the best value. I just wasn't sure if it wouldn't be worth the premium in this case.

I thought that since that Quadro card had the CUDA technology, it would speed things up. Adobe is saying either of the two cards are certified with their Mercury rendering engine, being touted as providing much more real time with Production Premium Suite CS5 coming out next month or so.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::