This is a personal pet peeve of mine in the world of HT setups... Calibrating a sub to work for music and for movies. It's my experience that the two are mastered quite differently on top of the fact that they utilize LFE quite differently as well.

What is annoying to me is you spend a bunch of time tweaking the HT for movies. I mean, you want the depth charges in U-571 to be really loud, right? Then wanting to do some critical listening of music (2 channel or surround) only to have way too loud bass. I guess it's even an issue sometimes between types of music. Listening to something like Pink Floyd then switching over to Crystal Method I want much different bass responses. Watching something like U-571 you want those depth charges to bounce you out of your seat but you don't expect that from Comfortably Numb.

I'm pretty sure there is no smoking gun method to achieve this so I ask, what does everyone else do to compensate for this? To me it's really annoying to get up to adjust the gain on the sub itself, even going into the AVR's config to change it is more than I prefer to do. Perhaps the problem is I want to have my cake and eat it too!